Saturday, August 13, 2005

More on Gospel-Driven Motives

LOC said in response to my earlier blog on motives...
"But Can we ever REALLY do anything motivated by anything other than selfishness in the end?Even when we do things anoymously our hearts are deceiving and full of evil. "

My answer:

A resounding Yes...Paul says it (1Cor 13) and I have experienced it that love for God and others rather than selfishness can and should be the motivation for the good things we do, as a result of a transformed heart, which is a response to the Gospel (God free love and grace towards us) and the work of the Spirit to change our heart. I am not saying that we can have absolutely pure motives, nor am I saying we should navel-gaze to try and figure out our "true" motivation anytime we do things. But to say that what pleases God are kind actions driven by Gospel-driven motivation. Anything less should drive us to God so that He might graciously change us. 1Tim1:5 "But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith."Now it is just as wrong to have a Gospel transformed heart and to do nothing (I would actually say this is impossible, for a Gospel-transformed heart moves us to action). Also I would agree with CS Lewis that showing kindness, even while wrestling with poor motives, often can be the instrument through which God transforms our motives and attitude. But I ramble. May we run to God continually to experience His grace that we might embody that grace in our actions and our motivations.

No comments: